One Iowa State football player made the All-Big 12 football first team, another landed the defensive freshman of the year award, and five others received honorable mentions as the conference awards were announced on Wednesday morning.
More from Football
- Iowa State football: DeVondrick Nealy, Tad Ecby leave the program
- National Signing Day 2015: Iowa State picks up stealth RB from California
- Iowa State football: 2015 National Signing Day tracker
- Iowa State football recruiting: Cyclones gain 3-star Kansas OT commitment
- Iowa State football recruiting: Cyclones pick up Florida defensive tackle
E.J. Bibbs was the best tight end on the board beating out Kansas TE Jimmay Mundine, who made the second team. In 10 games this season, Bibbs finished with 45 catches for 382 yards and a team-high eight touchdowns. He wasn’t able to play in the final two games due to injury.
Only Jonnu Smith of Florida International had as many touchdowns for a tight end He finished with 61 catches and 710 yards, which both stats led the nation. In comparison to Mundine, the Kansas TE had the same amount of catches at Bibbs (45) but had almost 200 more yards. He had five less touchdowns (3).
Kamari Cotton-Moya was named as the defensive freshman of the year. He ended up with the most tackles on the team — 77 total and only 22 of those being assisted. The defensive back also had two tackles for loss. He played in all 12 games.
The other five Iowa State players that received honorable mentions are center Tom Farniok, offensive lineman Jacob Gannon, wide receiver Allen Lazard (who was in the running for offensive freshman of the year), defensive end Cory Morrissey, and place kicker Cole Netten.
TCU had the most players of the year with Gary Patterson named the coach of the year, Trevone Boykin named the offensive POY and Paul Dawson named the defensive POY.ï¿½Kansas State and Oklahoma tied with six players each on the All-Big 12 first team.
More from Clones Confidential
- Get Cyclones News, in the New FanSided Android App
- Clones Confidential Madness: Win $500 or an Apple TV from RetailMeNot and LockerDome
- FanSided Madness: Win $500 or an Apple TV from RetailMeNot and LockerDome
- Get Instant Cyclones News, in the New Sports Illustrated App
- Iowa State basketball: Comeback over Iowa receives wrong attention