More from Iowa State Cyclones
- Get Cyclones News, in the New FanSided Android App
- Clones Confidential Madness: Win $500 or an Apple TV from RetailMeNot and LockerDome
- FanSided Madness: Win $500 or an Apple TV from RetailMeNot and LockerDome
- Get Instant Cyclones News, in the New Sports Illustrated App
- Make sure a Cyclones fan is crowned Fan of the Year
Here’s the entire list of players that survived the cuts:
- Tim Dobbins – Atlanta Falcons
- Jeremiah George – New York Jets
- Leonard Johnson – Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- A.J. Klein – Carolina Panthers
- Kelechi Osemele – Baltimore Ravens
- Ahtyba Rubin – Cleveland Browns
Five players were cut in the past couple days that made to the final week of the preseason — Buffalo Bills’ Deon Broomfield, San Francisco 49ers’ Carter Bykowski, Indianapolis Colts’ Josh Lenz, and New York Jets’ Jeremy Reeves.
Osemele and Klein were probably the only locks to make their teams. Dobbins had notable mistakes in his games and had multiple penalties. His final statline was 7 tackles (1 assist) and a sack in four games. George was looking like he was on the chopping block but surprisingly survived despite not having much production in the preseason (he didn’t play in the team’s third game).
Bykowski had a good preseason but it’s tough to make a deep team like the 49ers. Injuries also plagued a few of those players that were cut from making their squads. There’s a good chance that some of these players could be picked up on waivers.
Reaction on Johnson making the Bucs was rather mixed. He didn’t have an impressive offseason but did enough to be on the squad again for a third consecutive year. He’s recorded 62 tackles, 1 forced fumble, and 1 interception in his last two seasons.
We’ll be focusing on these Cyclones and any others that break through during the 2014 NFL season.