Iowa State basketball opens as favorites against the Kansas Jayhawks at home on Saturday night, and the spread might be bigger than most people thought it would be.
More from Men's Basketball
- Iowa State basketball: Comeback over Iowa receives wrong attention
- Iowa State men’s basketball: Thank you, Fred Hoiberg
- Iowa State basketball: Never doubt Hilton Magic
- Iowa State Basketball: Cyclones gearing up for end of season
- Iowa State basketball: Cyclones destroy Texas Tech in Jameel McKay’s first start
The Cyclones are 4-point favorites at Hilton Coliseum as they’ll be hosting the last team that’s still undefeated in Big 12 play. BetOnline.ag, the offshore sportsbook that generally is first with opening college basketball lines, has the number and is still the only one that’s open as of this posting.
A 4-point spread may be bigger than most people thought considering Kansas has been great at covering the spread. The Jayahwks are 10-5 at the spread while Iowa State is 7-5. Kansas has more games on record because they’ve been in three more games that involved Vegas actually setting a line.
- Kansas is 4-0 at the spread in last for games following a straight up and ATS win.
- Kansas is 5-0 at the spread in last five games where the opponent had over a .600 winning percentage.
- Kansas is 5-0 at the spread in last five overall games.
- Kansas is 24-9-1 at the spread in last 34 Big 12 games.
- Iowa State is 6-1 at the spread in last seven Big 12 games.
- Iowa State is 4-1 at the spread in last five games played on Saturday.
- Iowa State is 13-6 at the spread in their last 19 overall games.
- Iowa State is 17-8 at the spread in their last 25 home games where the opponent had a winning record.
- Iowa State is 1-7 at the spread in their last eight games after a loss.
- Kansas is 4-1 at the spread in the last five meetings against Iowa State.
Expect the spread to shrink. Similar to Iowa State being attractive getting a few points at Baylor, they beat the spread with just a one-point loss. The Cyclones should hold on as the favorites to win the game, however.