More from Football
- Iowa State football: DeVondrick Nealy, Tad Ecby leave the program
- National Signing Day 2015: Iowa State picks up stealth RB from California
- Iowa State football: 2015 National Signing Day tracker
- Iowa State football recruiting: Cyclones gain 3-star Kansas OT commitment
- Iowa State football recruiting: Cyclones pick up Florida defensive tackle
— He complimented North Dakota State, saying that “they belong on the national level.” He believes the Bison can beat anyone on any given Saturday.
— Looking at the offense and defense for NDSU, the defense is certainly the core of why this team’s been so dominant on the FCS level and what’s contributed to multiple upsets against FBS foes. The offense is more “old school”, an offense that uses a traditional fullback and could use multiple tight end sets. One thing to note: there are two TE’s listed over 6-foot-4 on the depth chart.
— Iowa State does plan to throw on NDSU. They have four wide receiver sets and they will likely include Allen Lazard. He’s “sure he’ll get a ball tossed in his direction.”
— Three key words to describe Sam Richardson: healthy, stronger, and smarter. He “was named our starter for a reason.”
— Interesting take: Rhoads compares this squad to 2009 when the team wasn’t expected to do much. That was Rhoads’ first year as head coach, and he opened up with North Dakota State back then. With a retooled coaching staff, it might feel like a new start for Rhoads.
— As expected, the secondary has looked strong — Rhoads defined them as “veteran players.”
Notable player quotes
Quotes compiled from various media reporters on Twitter (Chris Williams, Tommy Birch, Dylan Montz).