After Wednesday’s practice, Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads gave an update on player injuries and the quarterback competition.
More from Football
- Iowa State football: DeVondrick Nealy, Tad Ecby leave the program
- National Signing Day 2015: Iowa State picks up stealth RB from California
- Iowa State football: 2015 National Signing Day tracker
- Iowa State football recruiting: Cyclones gain 3-star Kansas OT commitment
- Iowa State football recruiting: Cyclones pick up Florida defensive tackle
Here is the latest on players that have been banged up in fall camp:
- JUCO transfer Gabe Luna could receive a redshirt after not stepping onto the practice field yet. The Des Moines Register reports that Rhoads will give it at least a week before he makes his final decision. It’s a loss for the defensive line that could obviously use the depth. Luna hurt his back during weight lifting over the summer.
- Offensive guard Ryan Glenn has a bruised thigh and his timetable is day-to-day. Glenn is second on the depth chart at right guard behind Daniel Burton.
Luna recorded 36 tackles, 3 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, and an interception in the 10 games he played for at Butler Community College. Most of his activity was recorded in September and October.
Other Iowa State football camp notes
— Rhoads said that the Cyclones will go 3-deep at wide receiver. This comes as no surprise since the team’s best strength is likely at this position. The current starters listed at the WR positions are P.J. Harris, Jarvis West, and Quenton Bundrage.
— Cory Morrissey was the spotlight player during media interviews after practice. Here’s a picture of him and a quote.