Paul Rhoads revealed when Iowa State’s starting quarterback would likely be announced during the Big 12 Media Days on Tuesday.
More from Football
- Iowa State football: DeVondrick Nealy, Tad Ecby leave the program
- National Signing Day 2015: Iowa State picks up stealth RB from California
- Iowa State football: 2015 National Signing Day tracker
- Iowa State football recruiting: Cyclones gain 3-star Kansas OT commitment
- Iowa State football recruiting: Cyclones pick up Florida defensive tackle
Fall camp is just 13 days away for the Cyclones, and a second scrimmage takes place on August 16th. By the end of that day, a quarterback will be named. All three quarterbacks — Grant Rohach, Sam Richardson, and Joel Lanning — are all in play.
Later in the press conference, Rhoads confirmed the spread offense that was being put in place with new offensive coordinator Mark Mangino. In a transition from the pistol last season, there will be three wide receiver with a single running back sets.
We’ve seen Iowa State try to implement a fast-tempo, no-huddle spread in the past, but they may finally have the full band and director to actually make it work consistently. Based on what we’ve seen on the field last season, this style of offense would benefit Rohach, the clear front runner and a reason why so many people in the media and fans are expecting him to be the starter.
Other notes from Rhoads’ press conference:
- Rhoads started off his conference by talking about the Gilbert baseball team. He loves his home and he absolutely loves his job.
- Naturally, two of the most brought up subjects were Mangino as the new OC and the Texas game from last year. Rhoads declined to elaborate on the Longhorns loss — he didn’t want to get in trouble.
- JUCO transfer Terry Ayeni has a torn ACL and he will redshirt. Ayeni suffered the injury while at the New Mexico Military Institute.
Also, Rhoads was clean shaven during his press conference. That only means one thing — football is right around the corner.
More coverage from Big 12 Media Days to come later today with more quotes from Rhoads along with some of the players that made the trip to Dallas.