Mar 24, 2013; Dayton, OH, USA; Ohio State Buckeyes guard Aaron Craft (4) works against the Iowa State Cyclones guard Bubu Palo (1) in the second half during the third round of the 2013 NCAA tournament at University of Dayton Arena. Ohio State defeated Iowa State 78-75. Mandatory Credit: Frank Victores-USA TODAY Sports
Bubu Palo is no longer on the Iowa State men’s basketball team.
After things looked like they were in the clear for Palo after a second-degree sexual assault case was dropped, an appeal forced the point guard off the team.
"An unidentified person or agency appealed the decision that allowed the former Ames High School basketball player back on the team. The University’s Office of Judicial Affairs handled the appeal.Palo’s removal from the team Saturday was fallout from that appeal.Neither Palo nor coach Fred Hoiberg returned phone messages. Athletic director Jamie Pollard had no comment, according to the release."
Palo would have been a senior this season on the team. Last year, he made his debut against the Kansas State Wildcats after recovering from an injury. He finished the season averaging 14.1 minutes, 3.4 points, and one assist per game.
Palo said back in January that the statements the alleged victim said “were completely false.”
Somewhere along the line in the appeal, that wasn’t the case. Palo was a great motivator off the bench, but his dismissal doesn’t hurt the Cyclones that much heading into the men’s basketball season.
Source: Des Moines Register