It’s been a while since the Iowa State men’s basketball team has been invited to a big-time holiday tournament. They’ll be a part of an eight-team field that will play 12 games in four days during Christmas week.
The 2013 Hawaiian Airlines Diamond Head Classic is a part of ESPN Events and will take place between Sunday, December 22nd through Wednesday, December 25th. All games will be held at the San Sheriff Center in Honolulu, Hawai’i.
As expected, all games will be televised on the ESPN family of networks.
Here are the eight teams that are involved in this year’s event:
- Akron Zips
- Boise State Broncos
- George Mason Patriots
- Hawai’i Rainbow Warriors
- Iowa State Cyclones
- Oregon State Beavers
- St. Mary’s Gaels
- South Carolina Gamecocks
Only the Cyclones come in as a top 25 ranked team, currently holding the 17th spot in the Associated Press poll and 13th in the USA Today Coaches poll.
Iowa State will face George Mason in the first game of the tournament. If they win, they will play in Game 6; with a loss, they would play in Game 5. They could end up in any time slot on the final day. No games are played on Christmas Eve (Tuesday).
The following is a schedule for all 12 games:
Sunday, December 22nd
- Game 1: Iowa State (8-0) vs George Mason (5-4) (Quarterfinal 1)
4:30 PM CT / 12:30 PM HT – TV: ESPNU
- Game 2: Akron (4-2) vs Oregon State (5-2) (Quarterfinal 2)
Approx. 7:00 PM CT / 3:00 PM HT – TV: ESPNU
- Game 3: South Carolina (2-3) vs St. Mary’s (8-0) (Quarterfinal 3)
10:00 PM CT / 6:00 PM HT – TV: ESPNU
- Game 4: Boise State (8-2) vs Hawai’i (7-2) (Quarterfinal 4)
Approx. 12:30 AM CT / 8:30 PM HT – TV: ESPNU
Monday, December 23rd
- Game 5: Losers of Games 1 and 2 (Consolation 1)
1:30 PM CT / 9:30 AM HT – TV: ESPNU
- Game 6: Winners of Games 1 and 2 (Semifinal 1)
Approx. 4:00 PM CT / 12:00 PM HT – TV: ESPNU
- Game 7: Winners of Games 3 and 4 (Semifinal 2)
8:00 PM CT / 4:00 PM HT – TV: ESPN2
- Game 8: Losers of Games 3 and 4 (Consolation 2)
Approx. 10:30 PM CT / 6:30 PM HT – TV: ESPNU
Wednesday, December 25th
- Game 9: Losers of Games 5 and 8 (7th-Place Game)
12:30 PM CT / 8:30 AM HT – Web: ESPN3 (No TV)
- Game 10: Winners of Games 5 and 8 (5th-Place Game)
Approx. 3:00 PM CT / 11:00 AM HT – TV: ESPNU
- Game 11: Losers of Games 6 and 7 (3rd-Place Game
Approx. 5:30 PM CT / 1:30 PM HT – TV: ESPN2
- Game 12: Winners of Games 6 and 7 (Championship Game)
Approx. 8:00 PM CT / 4:00 PM HT – TV: ESPN2
All games are available on WatchESPN. Note that Game 9 is only available on ESPN3, which is part of WatchESPN. It is possible for Iowa State to land in that slot if they lose the first two games of the tournament. Otherwise, they are guaranteed to be on TV.