Texas Tech is going to a bowl game after being the first team finishing their season in the Big 12. But how much better are they compared to the bottom half of the conference after losing five straight games?
What’s contributed to the Red Raiders’ downward spiral? Yes, playing a backloaded schedule with four of their final five teams currently being ranked in the BCS certainly is a reason. But it’s because they haven’t been stopping the opponents’ running game.
In Texas Tech’s five losses, the defense gave up 277 or more yards on the ground with 21 total touchdowns. In their seven wins, the largest amount of rushing yards they gave up in a game was 207 with nine total touchdowns.
This is why teams like Iowa State and TCU are finishing ahead of Texas Tech. The Cyclones have been much more competitive in the month of November, and finish off the season with two victories. The Horned Frogs have lost their last two games, but they haven’t lost a game by more than three points in November and had chances to beat West Virginia and Baylor at home along with winning at Kansas State.
- (6)Oklahoma State Cowboys (10-1, 7-1) – vs Oklahoma
- (9)Baylor Bears (10-1, 7-1) – vs Texas
- (25)Texas Longhorns (8-3, 7-1) – at Baylor
- (17)Oklahoma Sooners (9-2, 6-2) – at Oklahoma State
- Kansas State Wildcats (7-5, 5-4) – End of regular season
- TCU Horned Frogs (4-8, 2-7) – End of season
- Iowa State Cyclones (3-9, 2-7) – End of season
- Texas Tech Red Raiders (7-5, 4-5) – End of regular season
- Kansas Jayhawks (3-9, 1-8) – End of season
- West Virginia Mountaineers (4-8, 2-7) – End of season
- It’s still Oklahoma State’s Big 12 championship to lose. Beat Oklahoma on Saturday, and it’s done. If not, Texas and Baylor will battle for the spot in the next game on Saturday.
- The Big 12 will not being able to fill their allotment of bowl games. That’s what happens when four teams in the conference finish with a 2-7 or worse record.
- Texas moves ahead of Oklahoma simply because the Sooners offense is still suspect and the Longhorns really have no reason being behind them despite that being the case in the BCS rankings. Things will all play out after their tough challenges on Saturday.