One power rating list has the Iowa State men’s basketball team as the best overall in the nation.
With a 128.1 rating, TeamRankings has the Cyclones as first in their overall power ratings. They’re 2-0 against teams that are currently in their top 25, and the only other team that has one win was Florida State after defeating VCU last night. That gives them the boost to the top after starting out the season at 34th. Kansas, the Seminoles, Oklahoma State, and Gonzaga round out the top five.
Okay, so their rankings are based on stats and not from what humans generally look at in power rankings – what they thought of them before the season, do they pass the proverbial eye test, and where they are expected to finish.
There’s really no other teams out there that can say they’ve accomplished more than the Cyclones this season. Yes, upsets have happened and even the Big 12′s own Kansas and Oklahoma State have had high-calibur wins already. But defeating a then seventh-ranked Michigan team at home and going on the road to beat a quality should-be-ranked BYU team?
Call me biased, but I’m not complaining. However, I don’t necessarily agree the Cyclones are the best. Yet.
- Kansas Jayhawks (3-0) – Next: vs Towson (Fri)
- Oklahoma State Cowboys (4-0) – Next: at S Florida (Mon)
- Iowa State Cyclones (4-0) – Next: vs UMKC (Mon)
- Baylor Bears (4-0) – Next: vs Chaminade (Mon)
- Oklahoma Sooners (3-0) – Next: vs Seton Hall (Fri)
- Texas Longhorns (4-0) – Next: vs BYU (Mon)
- West Virginia Mountaineers (3-1) – Next: vs Presbyterian (Sat)
- Texas Tech Red Raiders (4-1) – Next: vs Pittsburgh (Mon)
- Kansas State Wildcats (2-2) – Next: PR Tip-Off, Day 3 (Sun)
- TCU Horned Frogs (1-2) – Next: at Washington St (Sun)
- Kansas State…maybe it’s just going to be a long year for you guys? Despite the exodus of talent, I didn’t expect losses to Northern Colorado and Charlotte, and they’re currently getting blown out badly by Georgetown as this is being written. Maybe the Kansas alum from USA Today, who picked Iowa State to finish dead last in his preseason poll, was right about the Wildcats all along to finish at ninth?
- Oklahoma State was a monster against Memphis, and they could easily become the Big 12′s best if Kansas runs into some growing pains. Marcus Smart finally showed us his power, outscoring the Tigers throughout the first half. The only question I have is why in the hell is their game against South Florida on ESPNews next Monday?
- Baylor hasn’t lost, but they certainly don’t look better than Iowa State at this point. They have struggled offensively averaging just 73.5 points per game (169th nationally).
- It’s a coin toss between Oklahoma and Texas, but the Sooners’ season opening win against Alabama is more impressive than anything the Longhorns have faced. At least Texas finally dominated a team after beating Houston Baptist. Yes, the bar has been set that low, Austin fans.