The Iowa State football team will be facing a much different Oklahoma State team than they’ve seen in the last couple seasons with more impressive stats on the defensive side of the ball, quarterback controversy like many other Big 12 teams, and turnovers being a big story in their games throughout conference play.
- 48th meeting (Oklahoma State leads series 26-18-3).
- 7-8-2: Iowa State’s record against Cowboys since 1989.
- 5-2: Iowa State’s record after first seven meetings (1926-1965).
- 4: Number of times OSU was ranked in Associated Press top 25 in last seven meetings.
- 499: Iowa State opponent’s average yards per game (ranked 114th nationally).
- 444: Oklahoma State’s average yards per game (ranked 38th nationally).
Leaders in the clubhouse
- Jeremy Smith (OSU running back): 75 carries, 247 yards, 7 TDs, 3 fumbles
- Josh Stewart (OSU wide receiver): 31 catches, 473 yards, 2 TDs
- Aaron Wimberly (ISU running back); 82 carries, 388 yards, 2 TDs, 2 fumbles (8 catches, 63 yards, 1 TD)
- Quenton Bundrage (ISU wide receiver): 25 catches, 391 yards, 4 TDs, 1 fumble
More opponent quarterback controversy
- OSU sophomore quarterback J.W. Walsh was benched against TCU in favor of senior QB Clint Chelf.
- Walsh: Completed 112 of 187 passes, 1324 yards, 9 TDs, 5 INTs (6 games)
- Chelf: Completed 30 of 55 passes, 471 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT (5 games)
Oklahoma State’s offense not as dominant
- 4th: National rank Cowboys finished in total offense last season (547 yards per game).
- 50th: Current rank Cowboys are at in total offense this season (440.2 yards per game).
What happened to J.W. Walsh?
- 13-3: Touchdown-to-interception ratio for J.W. Walsh last season (played in 10 games).
- 9-5: Current TD-to-INT ratio for Walsh after six games this season.
- 66.9: Walsh’s completion percentage last season.
- 59.9: Walsh’s current completion percentage this season.
Oklahoma State’s underrated defense…
- 116.8: Opponent’s average rushing yards per game (20th nationally).
- 3.2: Opponent’s average rushing yards per play (15th nationally).
- 6.5: Opponent’s average passing yards per play (33rd nationally).
- 54.3: Opponent’s average passing completion percentage (25th nationally).
…And defensive weaknesses
- 57.1: Opponent’s fourth down conversion percentage (8 of 14).
- 4.8: Percent that OSU’s defense reaches the quarterback (79th nationally).
Turnovers play a huge role in OSU’s season
- 12: Number of interceptions defense has this season (6th nationally).
- 14: Most interceptions by one team this season (Missouri, Oregon State).
- +7: Cowboys’ turnover margin this season.
- +4: Turnover margin against Kansas State.
- 8: Total turnovers in game against TCU (0 in turnover margin).
Field goal situation
- 45.5: Oklahoma State’s percentage of success converting FGs (115th nationally).
- 66.7: Iowa State’s percentage of success converting FGs (76th nationally).
- 50: Cowboys’ opponent’s percentage of success converting FGs (11th nationally).
- 85.7: Cyclones’ opponent’s percentage of success converting FGs (95th nationally).