Basketball season ended Saturday with a loss in the NCAA Tournament, but Spring Football is already here. Many of the Big 12 teams have already began practicing. The Cyclones are scheduled to start their practices tomorrow afternoon. The Spring Game will be held on April 14th this year. You can check out the depth chart along with previews that Cyclones.com did for the offense here and for the defense here. Below are some quick notes heading into the Spring.
- It is the big question heading into the 2012 season: Who will be Iowa State’s starting quarterback for the start of the season? It is no shocker that for now both Steele Jantz and Jared Barnett are tied on top of the depth chart. Sam Richardson is listed behind the two.
- James White tops the chart for the running backs ahead of Shontrelle Johnson and Jeff Woody. Shontrelle Johnson won’t participate in the practices this spring as he still recovers from his neck injury.
- No surprises at receiver. Josh Lenz is back to full health according to Rhoads.
- Kurt Hammerschmidt returns for his last year atop the chart at tight end. Behind the senior is Ernst Brun and not Pierce Richardson.
- On the offensive line the Cyclones will have to replace two likely future NFL players in Kelechi Osemele and Hayworth Hicks. At left tackle is senior Carter Bykowski, and at right guard is Jacob Gannon. As you recall that both players played a lot last year due to injuries. Farniok, Tuftee, and Burris are still atop the depth charts at their position.
- After missing the entire season with a knee injury, Roosevelt Maggitt will be forced to sit out spring practice too. Willie Scott will get the majority of time at that position during these practices. At the other end is David Irving. At defensive tackle is Jake McDonough and Cleyon Laing.
- Obviously Jake Knott and A.J. Klein will be starting again for Iowa State this year. Jake Knott will miss spring practice to fully heal up which will give Jevohn Miller first-team reps. Instead of Matt Tau’fa’ou playing with Knott and Klein, C.J. Morgan will get another chance at the SAM linebacker. Deon Broomfield is behind Morgan and Broomfield will be also playing safety.
- Replacing Leonard Johnson is junior Jansen Watson atop the depth chart. Along with Jacques Washington, Durrell Givens will be playing with the first-team this spring.